Thursday, May 27, 2010

Jacksonville Trip Update

Sorry I have not posted much lately, but work responsibilities have been brutal. Here is the latest and (not so) greatest updates...
As of today the sail is still not repaired, so I am going to have to push the date of departure to the week of June 7th. Along with the repair, I have had an unforeseen work commitment pop up that cannot be moved, so this delay is a definite at this point. Needless to say, I am quite disappointed, but there is nothing that can be done. The good news is the winds have been turning to a more consistent northerly direction which will help our cause greatly. In general though, the weather really hasn't been very good with rain and winds daily up to 25 to 30 mph, a big reason why the sail is not done. Still very unpredictable, but it is getting better. It's only a matter of time now, but it seems like six months since the first leg and not just a little over one.

Some stats on the leg from Beaufort to the Jacksonville Inlet. From inlet to inlet, we are looking at 352 miles. If we get the weather window we are hoping for, we could make that in just under 3 days at an average of 5 knots. I feel pretty comfortable with that number as we were actually averaging around 6 knots with a 15knot breeze on leg one, so I think that's a safe estimate. We will be no more than 40 miles off shore at the furthest point, but closer to 20 once we hit Charleston, SC the rest of the way down. I have a screenshot of the trip route taken from SeaClear. The red line shows the way.

From the mouth of the Jacksonville Inlet, it is 32 miles down the river to Skylark's new home. That will take about 8 hours or so to do. Fortunately, the vertical clearance necessary to get under all the bridges is 60 feet, so with skylark being only 46 feet off the water, it's a clear shot all the way. Now, lets just hope hurricane season doesn't start early this year.

Oh, and if anyone would be interested to take part in this leg, let me know. I can work with the dates a bit, but I am figuring on the later part of the June 7th week for now. Certainly would not mind an extra hand or two, so give me a shout if its a possibility.


  1. Thanks for the note Jim, and thanks for being gracious enough to be enviouse of our great weather up here. But in truth it is I who is envious of you, you are doing what I plan on doing (minus the work Keep us posted....Allan and Ellie, The Green With Envy Canadian Fan Club:)

  2. Hi Jim,

    I sent you a PM on CF, I am available for the trip. I would be coming in from the Detroit area, I am actually from Windsor, Ontario. Drop me a line if you want to talk more about it. I have only been sailing a few years, but I am a hard worker, and fast learner.


  3. Hi, I'm in Washington,NC and would be happy to help.