I must have done something right as the weather Gods decided to give me some of the nicest weather this past week here in Jacksonville. No humidity, 50s at night and 80s during the day. And the breezes have been amazing. I know in a few weeks this type of weather will be a thing of the past, but I am just happy I was here to enjoy it while it lasts. Anyway, Zachary and I had a real nice week and I am grateful.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
|Starboard winch...how pretty :)|
Talking about engines, Scott had planned on pulling the engine this week, but was called away to an emergency salvage in the Gulf, so we had to reschedule to next week. In actuality, that works fine as I was here this week anyway and can get some stuff done prior to him coming down. If all goes according to plan, we should be ready for the first sail of 2011 the next time I come, woohoo! I can tell Skylark is ready to go...she has been tied to the dock for too long now. I know I am ready, that is for sure.
Posted by Skylark at 11:15 PM
Thursday, March 3, 2011
Regardless of how I was going to proceed, the Atomic 4 had to come out. Obviously it needed to come out so we can see what we are working with, but in addition, it had to come out because the fuel tank needs to be replaced as well. The fuel tank, from what we can tell, is original to the boat and probably has 3 inches of sediment on the bottom. We learned that the hard way trying to keep the engine running in a rolly sea way. So to get the fuel tank out, the engine had to be removed.
If all goes according to plan, we will replace the oil pan, carburetor, change over to electronic ignition, replace the alternator and repaint the block to prevent corrosion. Of course the fuel tank will be replaced as well as the wiring from the engine to the house batteries. With that complete, the engine should last for a few more years giving me plenty of time to enjoy the sailing in Florida. The weather is really getting nice so I had to make the decision now. I will let you know what we find out.