Sunday, March 20, 2011

Florida at it's Best

I must have done something right as the weather Gods decided to give me some of the nicest weather this past week here in Jacksonville. No humidity, 50s at night and 80s during the day. And the breezes have been amazing. I know in a few weeks this type of weather will be a thing of the past, but I am just happy I was here to enjoy it while it lasts. Anyway, Zachary and I had a real nice week and I am grateful.

It was not all sitting around with my feet on the lifelines however, I got quite a bit done and had a very pleasant surprise fall in my lap. I started the week giving Skylark a thorough scrub down, stem to stern. It's amazing how long it takes to wash down a 34 foot boat. Times like this I wish I still has the Coronado 27, but as I mentioned earlier, the weather was perfect, so I sucked it up and finished it all in a day. Skylark is all shiny, one task off the list, on to the next.


I have been looking for a cockpit bimini for some time now but have had other projects take priority. Many great things happen to a person just because they were in the right spot at the right time, so I guess this week was my time. It seems that a cruiser had ordered a bimini from the marina a few years ago and never picked it up. So when I mentioned that I needed one to a guy who work here, he pointed me in the direction for the storage loft and told me to see if it might fit. I guess every one gets lucky once in a while as after a quick look, it was easy to see that it fit perfectly...as though it was made specifically for Skylark. And, the color, even through it's a little darker than the blue on the hull, is certainly close enough. Especially if you take in consideration of the price. I don't really want to say the exact cost, but just north of nothing should give you a pretty good idea. So another pretty big check off on the to-do list, an unexpected treat. Thanks to Jason for helping me install it.

I am not sure if you all saw what we saw when the moon came up last night, but apparently it was a special kind of Moon, something called a super Moon. From what I understand, it only happens once every 27 years. Its the time when the Moon is the closest to the Earth as it ever gets. If you were lucky enough to see the Moon come up over the horizon last night you were able to see the largest, bright orange Moon you probably have ever seen. It was truly amazing. I tried to take a pic, but it doesn't do it any justice. I guess this was the week of lucky events. I will certainly take it. Zachary thought it was the coolest thing he as ever seen. Reminded him of something out of Star Wars. Yeah, it really did actually. It's about the small things. Very cool.

The engine work is still scheduled for next week, so I am very hopeful all will be done by the next time I am down. Really looking forward to getting out and dropping the hook for a couple of days. I know Skylark and myself are ready to get away from this dock. Until then.

1 comment:

  1. So, how did the engine work go? I hope everything is satisfactory!....Allan

    ReplyDelete